25 May 2013

the seeds you sew











The verb sew always relates to stitching, knitting, and other tasks involving a needle and thread or a sewing machine. It also appears in the figurative phrasal verb sew up, meaning to complete successfully or to make sure of.

As a verb, sow means (1) to scatter seed for growing, or (2) to implant. It’s the correct word in the idiom "to sow one's wild oats."

I guess I'm doing a little bit of both here and I love how the garden influences my work and my work influences the garden. I was talking to a coworker yesterday about our passions outside of the office and he commented that if he doesn't have something to do in his workshop (he creates beautiful one-of-a-kind furniture) his work at the office suffers. I feel the same way, if I only go home after work and sit in front of the TV I turn into a zombie.

Not a harmful zombie, though. Just a boring, uncreative one - we can't have that.

The last two days have been filled with hard work in the garden. In my previous post I bemoaned the state of it, now my husband and I are digging in, pulling weeds and planting all those bulbs we dug up last fall. I can't wait to see everything in bloom and to start harvesting the fruits (well mostly veggies) of our labor.

Lots of baking and cooking around here lately. I made fajitas last weekend and that set us on the path of eating Mexican-style dishes all week. The leftovers ended up in some really tasty omelets.

Happy weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...