04 May 2009

Shepherd's Harvest Sheep and Wool Festival

We're definitely getting excited around here at Crosby Hill Farm. In less than a week we'll be attending the Shepherd's Harvest Sheep and Wool Festival, an annual event for fiber enthusiasts held at the fair grounds near Lake Elmo, in Stillwater, MN. 

As some of you know, our fiber history began at Shepherd's Harvest three years ago, when my mother fell in love with a lamb named Julia. She later bought some sheep (and yadda yadda yadda plus a lot of hard work) here we are today with lambs dancing around in our barnyard and overflowing baskets of soft fiber to sell. 

This year, Sandy, of Winterwind Farm, invited us to participate in a sales booth at the festival. We'll be selling CVM romeldale fiber from both our farms, plus mohair from our collection of colored angora goats. Our stock has grown out of Sandy's -- a luxurious and gorgeous lot!

If you're attending the festival I hope you'll stop by and say hello. I imagine I'll be spending a lot of my time in the booth, with my spinning wheel and a basket of fiber to work up. I'm looking forward to experimenting with all of the various types of fiber available at the festival. Sometimes its nice to just sit back and spin something that someone else has prepared for you. 

Here's one of our lambs, mugging for a photo. The other image displays three shades of freshly shorn CVM romeldale fiber taken near the end of February.  Since then the fiber has been washed and combed. 

Over the course of the next week I'm going to be previewing some projects on tendril/twine, projects that grew out of last year's festival and fiber purchases. I think one of the main reasons why I love the festival so much is because of its inspirational and educational quality. 

I leave there with more than enough ideas to keep me busy for an entire year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...