02 March 2016

knitting interlude (for more knitting)










This past Sunday my husband had to do some school work, so I stayed home with the baby and stared chopping, mixing and sauteing in the kitchen. This is a recipe that I've had pinned on my recipe board for a few weeks - red lentil soup. I subbed sweet potatoes for the regular potatoes, otherwise I pretty much followed the recipe. It called for smoke paprika, cumin and fresh ginger. Really yummy.

My knitting interlude is this little baby cap. This is my third one. I just love the pattern, it's so simple once you get the hang of it. Just increases and decreases and it looks so cool once you've knit a few inches. The white yarn is some fingering weight yarn of my mom's and the variegated yarn is something I picked up a few years ago for the barn raising blanket that I'm slowly making out of all of my leftover sock yarn. (The third photo from the top shows how that yarn knit up into one of the squares for my blanket.)

I love the contrasting stripes in the baby cap. I'm giving this one away so the next one I knit will have to be for Logan, because it's really striking.

I'm hosting book club this month, so that means I really need to read the book we selected. It's got a sheep on the cover, so that's a good start :) :) So far I'm liking the narrator, he has a humorous voice. The book seems to be part memoir, part travel writing (set in Spain), part mystery. It's also about artisan cheese, so I'll be learning something new. I think this is going to inspire my cooking and make me want to have a good piece of cheese and a nice glass of wine.

Hope you are all having a good week. The outdoor photos are from a walk that my husband, Logan and myself took with my mom (Grandma Julie) when she came down to visit us this weekend. The temperatures were in the 50s on Saturday.

I felt like I'd been turned loose after being confined to the house with a newborn since late November. I forgot there was an outdoors. The air smelled beautiful and the sun felt great.

Looking forward to more mild days.

xo Jill

11 comments:

  1. Seriously, I love how your knitting always color coordinates with everything in your posts! I'm a total soup girl and if I wasn't so sick I'd be whipping something yummy up after reading this post. I think I have that cap pattern queued on ravelry... So many baby things I would love to knit. I wish I could find more time. Looking to be quite warm this weekend--hope you all enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seems to color coordinate my weeks and snap photos of the same shade of color - you are not the first person to notice that. I would highly recommend this baby cap pattern - it's a fast knit and a stash buster. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Those stripes! Your contrasting yarn is gorgeous! I'll take a bowl of that soup, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour scheme for the baby cap. How cool would that look on a shawl! Oh boy, it's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really loving the yarn you are using for the baby cap. I love the white with the variegated. You have a beautiful blog with beautiful photos. I will be bookmarking you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knitting projects are lovely, the stranded work is intimidating to me but your results are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started knitting I thought it would be difficult too, but it's actually fairly simple - especially stripes. Good luck and thanks!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipe link - it has just been pinned to my Delicious board. Sounds perfect for late autumn lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pictures!

    The hat is so charming.

    Yes, your book will make you want to eat cheese, I think! :) I always do that with books when they have really tasty and intriguing sounding food descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hat is adorable!

    Thank you for the soup recipe, too. I was just trying to think of a red lentil soup that was Lenten, so our family could eat, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...