14 July 2012

summer sides from the garden


This week the carrots looked big enough to pull out of the garden here at tendril and twine. So I pulled some and we ate some.  (I never really follow the instructions on the side of seed packets that spell out the length of time from planting until harvest. When the beans look juicy I pick them, when I start tripping over carrot tops, I start thinning them out.)


This year I planted a type of carrot called "Carnival Blend." It produces a range of colors from indigo to white, with scarlet, orange and yellow in between.  (That's a turnip in the back of the photo below, not a carrot.) But I did get a purple carrot, it's just that when you clean them, you end up peeling off the layer of purple skin to reveal an orange core.



The great thing about these carrots is the range of flavors. The orange colored pieces have a more traditional "carrot" taste. But the yellow and white varieties taste more like a parsnip . . . which I love.

I simmered my carrots lightly and tossed them in butter and fresh chopped dill and chives. For the green beans, I steamed them and tossed them in bit of butter, brown sugar and chopped pecans. These sides were delicious. The dill and the chives came from the garden as well.


My mitered mitten project has been finished and given away. This project had a quick turn-around time which makes me want to pick up and finish other projects that have been lingering on the needles for months or maybe years.

We'll see how that goes . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...