17 June 2012

I don't leave the house without it


My husband and I were out and about this weekend as we seem to be every weekend. (Sigh, I will never catch up on house and garden work at home, but I guess that's okay.) We packed up early on Saturday morning intending to not return to the house until late Saturday night. Our schedule for the day included a pancake breakfast and then several stops for groceries and gifts before settling into the car and onto the road for a trip up north to my parent's farm. We intended to pick up my cousin and her husband along the way,  insuring that we would have one happy carload for a road trip.

Everything was going well until I realized that I'd forgotten my cell phone at home. Garrett doesn't understand how I could leave the house without something as essential as my cell phone. He patiently explained to me that every day he doesn't leave the house unless he has three things: his wallet, his car keys and his cell phone.

Huh.

I patiently explained to him that all of those essentials cancel out for a woman if she has a husband. He can be counted on to remember those things and she can forget her cell phone, but instead remember to bring a camera, some important knitting patterns and key ingredients for recipes they intend to prepare and consume over the course of the day.

Now that's team work.


These socks are a result of my previous visit to the farm. We all dyed some fiber to spin for socks and now we're all happily working on our patterns.


These are the lovely socks that my cousin Ashley is working on. I love the flashes of orange and the pattern that uses a combination of "slip-slip-knits" which masquerade as cables. I guess no cable needle is required for this pattern. This pattern is called "Nutkin" and it can be found here.


Here's some lovely bruschetta made with some basil from my mother's garden. Pretty potent stuff.

We were all - of course - celebrating Father's Day and my Dad's birthday - all of which happen to fall in the same week. My Mom was at work with her colored pencils. When I saw this card I thought it was about how we all seem to find our way home to gather around the "home fire" and celebrate as a family, but her motivation seems to have been inspired by my father's tendency to start things on fire - but that's another story for another blog.


Hope everyone had a happy Father's Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...