15 September 2011

knitting in the backyard


The season of fall feels like it's upon us, even though it's a week off on the calendar. I've started my final year of studies here at the School of Design, so my life right now is moving fast and I've had to snag moments to knit between classes, catching the train and falling into bed in the evenings.

The night before my first day of class Garrett and I opened a bottle of champagne and had a campfire in the back yard. I wandered around admiring the flowers in the garden and thinking about what I'll do with this space next year.



These ladies have been my favorites, probably because I've never planted them before. Their colors hint at the season to come and their blossoms have attracted several varieties of honeybees to our backyard. I have to be careful when I cut flowers for the house so that I don't take a fuzzy-buzzing stowaway into the house with me, because I don't know how I'd get the unintended guest back outside without injury to either party.



Here's my "wall" of flowers between our yard and the next. It's made up of sunflowers, giant zinnias, borage, cleome and dahlias.

Frost warnings are already out for our area, so I'm going to have to say goodbye to these blossoms soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...