04 June 2013

i'm nobody









I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody too?
Then there's a pair of us - don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!

Emily Dickinson

Do your favorite poems ever just pop into your head? Mine do. I was making enchiladas tonight, surrounded by the smell of hot peppers, when suddenly a snippet of Emily Dickinson flitted across my brain.

I'm nobody . . . who are you? Are you nobody too . . .

And then I couldn't remember the rest, but knew it had a really good punchline, so I had to run upstairs to find my volume of Dickinson poems to put my mind at rest. It's not really a rest though, now I'm thinking of other poems that this particular poem calls to mind.

Irises are blooming in my neighborhood. I love them. I love them so much I almost want to take a shovel and dig some of my favorite ones up in the wee hours and transplant them in my own yard. But that would be wrong. Karma would probably make them not bloom. So I just have to admire my neighbor's blossoms from the right-of-way and remind myself that not every beautiful thing in the world requires ownership. Some things we just have to admire from a distance.

Yarn, yarn, yarn. The two colorways posted above are called greener pastures and golden fields. More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I love that poem :) And all the beautiful blossoms and new yarns. The golden fields are calling to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...