26 October 2013

october foods








The smell of roasting sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil, sea salt and spices, crunchy pumpkin seeds and salads with quinoa, kale and golden raisins. It's been a week of trying new recipes for me.  I ordered a kale salad a few weeks ago while out to lunch with a girlfriend and I've been craving it ever since.

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa (I had some regular and black quinoa. Simmer for 10 minutes, let cool.)
1 carrot shredded
1 bunch kale (blanched and sliced very thin)
I bunch scallions (I like to chop mine really tiny)
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
2 sweet potatoes, pealed and diced (tossed as described above and roasted)

Trinity Vinaigrette
1:1:1 Honey: Balsamic vinegar: Olive oil

Let all ingredients cool, then toss together with vinaigrette. Salt and pepper to taste. This salad keeps well for a few days. I really enjoyed bringing it for lunch.

The kale salad at the top of the page is something I put together for lunch on Saturday. I blanched and sliced the kale really thin then added scallions, shredded carrots, parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds to taste. The dressing is Marzetti Caesar salad dressing from the store - a favorite at our house. I wasn't sure it would work with the kale, but it was great.

It may seem like I've been eating really healthy this week, but it's all going to be foiled tonight when we attend a Halloween party and I stuff my face with sweets and junk food.

Trick or treat?

XOXO  - Jillian

2 comments:

  1. I feel hungry just looking at those photos. Enjoy your halloween party ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...